Keep your family safe from Christmas tree fires this season
If you have made the choice to decorate your home this holiday season with a real tree, here are a few things you should know.
One in every four home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- check your lights for missing bulbs or exposed wires. If you see any, throw them out.
A heat source too close to a tree causes one in four tree fires.
- be sure to turn off any heaters that are near your tree
- if you are also lighting candles be sure to keep them 12 inches from your tree
Candles start 2 out of 5 home decoration structure fires
- keep candles 12 inches from flammable items
- do not leave candles burning when you are away from home
- the top 3 days for candle fires are Christmas, Christmas Eve and New Years
Keep your tree properly watered
- well watered trees are not a high fire risk however, once the trees start to dry out fire can spread much faster. See the video below comparing a well watered tree to a dry one.
Have a safe and joyful holiday season.